Job no: 493444
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Categories: Administrative Support
Role: Executive Assistant
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Resume and Cover Letter Information***In your cover letter and/or resume, highlight your previous experience or technological skills, for example use of virtual meeting platforms, creating forms and pdf's, formatting in Word, etc.
Rate of Pay:$47,965
Job Summary:An employee in this class performs work of moderate difficulty by providing highly confidential secretarial and administrative support to the assigned Cabinet member and corresponding division. Work is distinguished by the ability to maintain confidentiality and to effectively and diplomatically communicate with senior level internal and external contacts. General supervision is received from the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
2. Five years’ experience as an executive-level Administrative Assistant.
3. Considerable knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
4. Considerable skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
5. Considerable skill organizing work in order to meet established deadlines.
6. Considerable verbal and written communication skill with all levels within the organization as well as external community members
7. Working skill managing multiple priorities.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Manage, delegate and oversee the work of all support and departmental clerical staff. Hire, train and evaluate subordinate clerical staff.
2. Manage incoming and outgoing communications for the executive, confidentially and in priority order and alerting immediate supervisor of issues, concerns or potential problems.
3. Maintain department management calendar. Schedule and make all necessary arrangements for meetings, conferences and appointments.
4. Compose, compile and prepare correspondence, reports and related documents as directed by the department executive. Proofread a wide variety of complex reports, letters, memoranda and statistical charts.
5. Collect data from a wide variety of sources. Compose/run a variety of routine/ad hoc reports for department management, proofreading to ensure accuracy. Analyze data to make recommendations to management for action.
6. Oversee the centralization, organization and ongoing maintenance of department files to ensure a well-organized file system.
7. Oversee the processing of all expenses, requisitions and blanket purchase orders for the department.
8. Provide support for division related committees, work groups and other meetings including preparing agendas, taking minutes and following up on action items.
9. Maintains required training, licensure and/or certification.
10. Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
11. Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide back-up and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
12. Available to respond to internal and external customers during scheduled business hours.
13. Demonstrates independent judgment and discretion in making position related decisions.
1. Manage the office supply inventory, ordering supplies as needed.
2. Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
3. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 04/29/2020. Elgin Community College Support Staff Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 05/06/2020 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: April 29, 2020 Central Daylight Time
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...